
On Thursday we didn’t have any Olympic event tickets but Stephen Colbert was in town filming his show. So, instead of taking advantage of an opportunity to divert from waking up at 5am a few of us rose up after 6hrs of returning home from our Hockey game at Midnight. Yes, some vacations you dig your feet into the sand and soak up the sun after waking up without an alarm but attending the Olympics can be grueling sport within itself. From these painful sacrifices come memories and crazy blogs. When we arrived at Science World Park we quickly realized that arriving 1 hour before a unique Stephen Colbert on location taping at the Olympics was like trying to get tickets for the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen Rock fest the day of. The line snaked around the park and I knew right then our chances of even seeing the show would take more than binoculars. Then, as luck would have it, order turned to chaos. The line turned into a mob of people rushing the stage and instinct took over. I quickly found myself running like the last time I saw a bee, I hate bees more than Steven hates bears. They are “Godlike killing machines”. Many thoughts came to mind. Why the hell is a 44 year old acting like the 20 year olds that surround me? Why am I tromping though this muddy grass like its Woodstock? Then I arrived at the stage a few rows back with the other crazies but I had only been there 5 minutes while others had spent the night. It was a great show and fun to see how a its all produced, A Dutch oompa loompa band opened the show playing tunes like Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline” so good, so good. The event was topped off with me shoving my Colbert Nation hat (given to me by my wonderful faux sister-in-law) into Stephen’s face and asking him to sign it.
Don Eagle
No comments:
Post a Comment