
First time blogger long time reader of the Crystal Lake Nation living the Olympic dream blog. Wednesday started like most days this week with a 5am alarm telling me its go time. The Olympians need us so we get up early to get on the bus and ride the 2 hrs to Callaghan Valley to cheer on anyone that will listen. Usually it’s a Norwegian, American or a Canadian but if the racing tights are working the country doesn’t matter. Today we had a quick turnaround after the cross country event to watch the Czech’s take on the hated Slovakians. Jani and I headed out early to the infamous Shark Club to grab some bar food and watch some Olympics on TV before we went to the game. We hopped on the Skytrain(subway) with the masses over to the Stadium and little did we know that this ride would be the reason to write a blog. As we zoomed underneath Vancouver I glanced over my shoulder to see who was standing next to me and to my surprise it was our dinner guest from the night before, Maelle Ricker Olympic snowboard cross gold medal winners Dad Karl. Karl was still sporting the Norwegian Flag handkerchief in his breast pocket that we gave him, I’d like to think he wore it in honor of our generosity. I leaned over and asked him if I could buy him dinner but he did not recognize me. You could tell that he had not slept a wink since his job was to prepare the Women’s downhill course all night for Lindsey Vonn’s Gold medal run that day. I reminded him who we were, exchanged pleasantries and then we both shot off to our respective events, he, his daughters Gold Medal ceremony, ours, a quick beer and hockey game.
Don Eagle
No comments:
Post a Comment